Friday, May 27, 2011

Remembering Those Who Have Served

Hello World!!..........

It's been a while since I have posted...feeling uninspired...but as Memorial Weekend is here I thought I would share my thoughts on those who have served our country.

The men and women who have served our country, no matter what branch of service, have always held a special place in my heart. My father served in WWII..Army Air Corp,
 as did my father's brother (Navy) and sister (WAC). Stationed in the Philippines for 3 plus years was very traumatic for my father....I remember his nightmares as I was growing up and knew that the war was deeply ingrained in him. It scared me that he was still scared.
Also...............he and my mother married before he had shipped out and my sister was born while he was gone so he missed all those early years of attachment to her. That is such a sad thing.....our men and women sacrificed so much for our country.I am always grateful for what they did for us future generations.
AND..............my father always took us to Arm Forces Day.....we climbed into jeeps, cockpits...and any and everything that was available. We watched the Thunderbirds...............we listened to patriotic music and always hung our flag out when ever we could. We were deeply patriotic. But....the clincher (is that a word?)............was the Bob Hope Specials during the Viet Nam War. When he entertained the troops.........and as the cameras panned out so you could see the vast sea of men.........I still get weepy...That broke my heart... that all those men, in base after base, were there...facing death....except for that brief moment of Bob Hope's visit. And........when the show closed with everyone singing Silent Night....oh my....I was so sad as I cried for them. These memories are deeply embedded in me.
I honor them this Memorial Day..........

Tomorrow I will write about my son who served 4 years in the Army and my son-in-law who is a current career Marine.

Love to you all.............

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mel, such a great tribute! Memories are so special! Holiday hugz....

    ReplyDelete